>

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lost in Suburbia

So sorry for my unexpected hiatus from this world I have become so fond of. I have been lost in Suburbia for this past month, Rosie's 3rd Birthday, gymnastics, 2nd grade, book fairs, play dates, girl scouts. Eeeeek!
I seem to have lost myself in the shuffle there for a minute. I knew I was missing you all, but I kept telling myself it had only been a few days and I'd be right back in the groove of things. Well, 1 month later I believe I'm out of my rut, and ready to blog. With Halloween fast approaching there is much to do. It is time for me to hang my cobwebs, light my candles, and turn on the monster mash. I must share with you my most prized Halloween decoration. It was handcrafted for me by the one and only Mrs. Staggs. She is so precious, my little black cat (and my aunt too!), covered from tail to hat with glitter. This is one of my 12 favorite months (hehehe but closer to the top of my list o' favs), I got to explore my German roots a little with an Oktoberfest treat of handmade soft pretzels dipped in stone ground mustard (I picked the one with the most German name in the store). This was my first time making pretzels, I didn't realize that I would need to boil them and then bake them, but Holy Cow (that's what is making me soooo hilarious right now) they were absolutely phenomenal. So I used the recipe that was in the newest issue if Martha, and I need to stress to you how d'lish they are. And pretty darn easy.


Pretzel's (Not Auntie Annes)

2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
1/4 tsp coarse salt
2 tsp sugar
1 Cup warm water
3 cups AP flour
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
oil for baking sheet
3 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp pretzel salt (yeah, about that, so did not go buy pretzel salt)


1. Mix yest, coarse salt, sugar and warm water in a small bowl, whisking until sugar dissolves. Let stand until foamy ( approx 5 minutes)

2.Mix flour and cayenne in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour until coarse crumbs form.

3. Slowly pour yeast mixture over flour mixture, stirring to combine. Using your hands, gather dough together. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until no longer sticky. Cover with plastic and let rise 30 minutes.

4. cut dough into 12 pieces, roll into and 18 inch rope and then form into your pretzel shape, transfer to an oiled baking sheet. Let rise 20 minutes

5. Preheat oven to 475. Bring a large pot of water to boil, and add the baking soda. Boil pretzels in batches until puffed and slightly shiny 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to wire racks to drain. Return pretzels to baking sheet, sprinkle with coarse salt and bake until golden brown and cooked through about 15 minutes.
Take Care! Hope all is well with everyone. I'll be back again soon!

4 comments:

Lena said...

I'm so happy to see you back, but I understand when you are so busy. I still remember those first days of school. They are hectic, and it takes a bit of transition time, before things settle down a bit more into a routine. I don't get to see you as often as I like, so when you started to blog, it made me very happy. I feel like your blog is a little bit like being there with you from time to time, and that's always a pleasure.

I'd forgotten about making this cat. I remember making two or three others around the same time. All that black glitter made such a mess! Your favorite uncle and your cousin complained about walking on glitter for weeks afterwards, even though I cleaned the floors over and over! LOL! I had fun though, and I'm glad that you still like yours. I had requests to make more of those for about three years afterwards, but I never put my guys through that again. I remember Liisa volunteering her studio as a workplace if I wanted to make more, because when she posted a photo of one of the others on her old website, folks wrote wanting to buy it. Maybe someday I'll have the sort of time it takes to make them again. I've always wanted to try making smaller ones. Valentine's Day would be sort of a fun holiday to make cats for. Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that!

Those pretzels look oh so good! I wish I'd been there for the taste test! I'm so impressed! I need to become more adventuresome in my cooking again. You're inspiring me!

I love you.
xooxo
Aunt Lena

Lena said...

LOL! I can't believe I'm adding a P.S. to that very long comment, but I have to say that's one very sweet birthday cutie pie!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! Those pretzels look fantastic! I've never tried making them at home -- thanks for the inspiration.

And how lucky are you to have a cat from the fabulous Mrs. Staggs!!!Maybe we should beg her to do a tutorial LOL!

brsmaryland said...

Busy indeed! Hope it was a happy 3rd bday. And the pretzels look so good. I like mine with mustard too.
Love the cat. I do enjoy the 'happy' halloween decorations instead of the 'spooky' kind. Your aunt is one talented lady.